July 2018 - SEMIKRON SiC Power Modules
Published on: 25/07/2018
Introducing SEMIKRON’s SiC Power Modules available from 10kw to 350kw in 1200V
SEMIKRON’s SiC Power Modules feature leading chip and packaging technology for the highest energy efficiency. The Full/hybrid SiC modules range from 10kw up to 350kw in 1200V and are typically used in the following applications: solar inverters, energy storage systems and motor drives.
Both the hybrid and full silicon carbide power modules combine the benefits of proven industry standard power modules with SEMIKRON packaging technologies.
A low module commutation inductance allows for full speed switching of SiC MOSFETs. The higher switching speeds can be converted into higher switching frequencies, resulting in smaller magnetic filter components. The switching losses can be reduced at the same time, increasing the system efficiency. Sophisticated materials and packaging technologies minimises the thermal resistance of the chip to the heatsink which enables higher power densities.
SEMIKRON’s Silicon Carbide power range comes in seven different packages, the MiniSKiiP and SEMITOP represent the low power range of up to 25kW and are both baseplate-less.
The MiniSKiiP comes with tried and tested SPRiNG technology as a full SiC 6-pack, with or without SiC Schottky free-wheeling diodes. The first and second generation SEMITOP modules help achieve maximum flexibility in combination with the industry standard package SEMITOP E1/E2.
SEMITRANS 3, SKiM63/93 and SEMiX 3 Press-Fit are all covered by SEMIKRON’s medium and high-power range and are available in hybrid and full SiC topologies for up to 600A rated chip current. Fast rectifier modules with Silicon Carbide Schottky diodes are also available in SEMIPACK and SEMITOP packages.
SEMIKRON’s SiC power modules feature higher switching frequencies which allow for optimised and lower-cost filter components, Their reduced power losses boost efficiency and lower the system costs and size because of the compact cooling devices.
SEMIKRON’s SiC Power Modules are predominantly used in the following applications:
- Solar inverters: booster and inverter applications
- Energy storage systems: maximum efficiency and low audible noise
- UPS: high efficiency double conversion systems
- Motor drives: active front end and motor side (hybrid SiC)
- Power supplies: auxiliary supplies for traction application and induction heating
SEMIKRON’s Hybrid SiC Modules
Offer 50% lower power losses and easy implementation
- Feature a combination of IGBT switches with silicon carbide schottky diodes
- Almost no diode losses and significantly reduced IGBT turn-on losses
- High speed IGBT and SiC schottky diode result in 50% lower switching losses
- Easy implementation of cost optimised Sic solution
SEMIKRON’s Full Sic Modules
Feature unmatched efficiency and performance
- Offers more than 99% efficiency at maximum switching frequency
- Features the latest silicon carbide trench MOSFET technology
- Optimised chipsets to fit customer requirements
- With and without SiC schottky free-wheeling diode
GD Rectifiers distribute SEMIKRON’s extensive range of Silicon Carbide Power Modules designed for solar inverters, energy storage systems, high power car charging stations, traction auxiliary power supplies, sports cars, racing cars and high efficiency/high speed motor drives.
GD Rectifiers has been distributing SEMIKRON components for over 54 years and stocks their complete range of power semiconductors, including: Diodes, IGBTs, MOSFETs, Rectifier Bridges, SiC Hybrid Power Modules, SiC Power Modules, Thyristors, Thyristor Diode Modules, Air Cooled Heat Sinks, Aluminium Heat Sinks, Solid Fin Heat Sinks and Power Assemblies.